Beauty is big business.
A 2019 retail report stated that the global industry’s worth is over $500 billion.1 From household names to small startups, consumers are presented with so much variety that with a little searching, they can find each item they need. It’s great for the customer but it’s a little less great for retailers–when the industry gets a bit crowded, the pressure’s on to stand out.
At least 2020 was good for one thing: an increase in online sales. While some beauty brands saw online sales increase to twice as high as their pre-pandemic levels, a forecast report believes 20% to 30% e-commerce growth could be more typical going forward for these retailers.2
When you send beautiful shipping boxes to your audience, you set the stage for building a relationship with a customer who wants to come back for more. So in what could be considered an oversaturated market, it’s time to break out of the online mold! Make a stunning first impression and create something that has the potential to go viral.
Branded Shipping Boxes: Win them with the WOW factor
You don’t want to send a plain box to your valued customers, especially considering the variety of fun colors of the cosmetics that are inside the package! You need to think outside the box. Literally.
Like Ulta’s signature shade of orange or Colourpop’s look-at-me patterns, your customers know exactly what’s in those boxes.
So how do you decide what your branded shipping boxes should look like?
First, your logo should be clearly visible. Whether your entire company name is written across the box or you have a recognizable icon that’s synonymous with your brand – like Nike’s swoosh or Target’s bull’s-eye – you need to make sure your package grabs attention over any other deliveries a customer might have that day. You want yours to be opened first, don’t you?
The next consideration is color. Do you want a fun pop of bright yellow? A luxurious black and gold? If you don’t already work with one, partner up with a designer or a branding expert who can help you create the response you’re looking for.
Be bold but don’t go overboard with the design. Experts in the business of custom labeled boxes like BoxUp can help you figure out the best way to tell your brand story.
It’s what’s on the inside that counts
While the outside of the box can capture attention, it’s what’s inside the box that can matter most. (And we’re not just talking about the cosmetics your customers are ordering!)
You might be looking at the inside of the box thinking of this space as just more area to continue a design, but this is prime real estate. What could you include in regards to printing inside the box to take your customer experience up a notch?
- An inspiring or empowering quote. Find one that you have permission to use that combines both beauty and confidence, but make sure it doesn’t come off as superficial. Designed well, your customer may want to cut it out and post it on a wall or desk. Here are some quotes that could spark some ideas:
- “Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful.” – Sophia Loren
- “Beauty is about enhancing what you have. Let yourself shine through.” – Janelle Monae
- “Happy girls are the prettiest.” – Audrey Hepburn
- A handwritten message. Leave an undesigned space in the box so your team can write a personal thank-you note to your customer. Find a tone that matches your brand: Think grateful, charming or comical.
- A checklist or instructions of use. Help your audience keep track of what products they’ve loved or even haven’t cared for. Split the list into multiple columns, giving them names like:
- “What I loved”
- “What I’ll pass off to a friend”
- “What I need next time”
- Your social channels and/or your hashtags. Social platforms are a great way to learn how to apply makeup or discover the season’s best colors. List all of your channels so your customers can post your products – and spread the word about your company!
- A coupon code. What better way is there to have your customers come back than giving them incentive to do so? Consider a discount with each themed box you design, such as when seasons change or as holidays come up.
Printing inside the box is just one more way to carry through the excitement your audience has about the outside of the package.
No matter the size of your cosmetics organization, there’s a way to make branded shipping boxes work for you and your budget. Working with a manufacturer like BoxUp, you can start making a stronger first impression today. Click here to start creating your branded box today!
1Edited, What the $532bn beauty industry looks like in 2019, on the internet, at https://edited.com/resources/what-the-beauty-industry-looks-like-in-the-future/ (viewed Oct. 15, 2020)
2McKinsey & Company, How COVID-19 is changing the world of beauty [PDF].